Book Cheap International Flights to New York From South Africa
If you want to explore and discover one of the world’s most iconic city’s, then it’s just the right time to book cheap flights to New York. New York is both a State and City in the US. Most travellers who plan a trip to New York are actually visiting the city. Cheap international return flights to New York from South Africa can be easily found by using our flight search feature.
New York is the most populated area in the US and has an exhilarating, buzzing atmosphere, day and night. In fact, the city attracts more than 60 million visitors each year!
New York City is a global power city and has a massive impact on the US in terms of finance, media, fashion, commerce, art, research, technology and education. It’s called “the city that never sleeps” for good reason!
South African visitors flock to this destination to experience it’s authenticity and get a taste of true world-class city living. Sky scrapers, Wall Street, corporate headquarters and some of the world’s finest restaurants, shops and night clubs await visitors of the Big Apple.
Cost of Flights from South Africa to New York City
We analyse searches for flights from South Africa to New York City that have been made during the last 24 hours. The tables below show the top 5 cheapest flights from Johannesburg, Cape town and Durban, South Africa to New York City, USA.
Getting Around New York
The city has an intricate and reliable public transport system. Getting around New York will prove an easy task with taxis always within reach and readily available. If catching a taxi to get from place to place is too expensive, you can make use of the Rapid Transit service which runs 24 hours a day. The New York city subway (rail) is the largest system of its kind in the world.
Unlike other international cities in the world, New York residents make use of public transport mainly. Stats reflect that as much as 52% of the New York population don’t own a car as the public transport system is all that is required.
The commuter rail network is another form of transport that travellers can use. This network connects the city to the surrounding suburbs. The bus service also operates 24 hours a day and offers an affordable mode of transport. Other forms of transport that you can use in the city include trams, ferries and Uber drivers.
Cheap Return Flights to New York – Discover New York Airports
When you book cheap flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban to New York, you will land at one of the following airports:
- John F. Kennedy International Airport
- Albany International Airport
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport
- Stewart International Airport
- Niagara Falls International Airport
- Plattsburgh International Airport
- Greater Rochester International Airport
- Syracuse Hancock International Airport
- Watertown International Airport
- Greater Binghamton Airport
- Elmira Corning Regional Airport
- Long Island McArthur Airport
- LaGuardia Airport
- Westchester County Airport
While these airports are located in New York state, those found in the actual city of New York are: John F. Kennedy International Airport and La Guardia Airport.
The Best Time to Visit New York
The best time to book direct flights to New York would be over weekends from Mid January to the end of February. This is out of season time and the area experiences fewer tourists. From April to June and September to November, the weather is mild so it is a popular time of year for visitors. The weather is at its hottest in July and August.
Things to do and See in New York
There is much to see and do in New York! Some of the area’s top tourist attractions include:
- Central Park (great if you’re travelling with kids as the park caters to child-friendly entertainment at the hand carved carousel).
- Empire State Building
- Statue of Liberty
- Rockefeller Centre (here you will find an ice rink and giant Christmas tree at Christmas time).
- National September 11 Memorial and Museum
- Grand Central Station
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Madison Square Garden
- Staten Island Ferry
- Time Square
- Central Park Zoo
- Madame Tussauds
Accommodation in New York
For the average South African budget, hotels in the city will be pricey. Airbnb options within the city itself also tend to be a bit over priced. However, top hotels include The James NoMad Hotel, Four Seasons Hotel, Time Square Hotel, Refinery Hotel, Mandarin Oriental and The Chatwal.
Popular affordable accommodation for tourists (especially for South African travellers) is in the YMCA which offers well kept digs at two locations in NYC (East 47th Street and West 63rd Street). More affordable hotels and and hostels can be found just outside the city in Brooklyn and Queens.
Some basic, budget hotels and hostels in the area include Hotel 31, Chelsea International Hostel, HI New York City Hostel, International Student Centre and Central Park Apartments.
Some Interesting Facts About New York
- 15 152 forms of life have been found on the NY subway, including bacteria and insects.
- It is illegal to hoot in New York unless it’s an actual emergency.
- NYC was the first capital city of the US in 1789 and only remained as such for one year.
- The city will pay for a one-way flight for a homeless person if they have a guaranteed place to stay at their destination.
- There are fake buildings in the city. These are used for maintaining and ventilating the subway.
- The Empire State Building has its own zip code.
Book Cheap International Flights to NYC
With Cheap International Flights, you can book cheap flights to New York quickly and easily online. Simply use our flight search feature to find the flight and travel special that best suits your needs and budget. You can fly from Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg to New York. Book your cheap flights with us today.