Book Cheap International Flights to Geneva from South Africa
Geneva, nestled on the banks of Lake Geneva in Switzerland, is fondly referred to as “The Peace Capital” as it plays host to several international organisations, dedicated to international affairs, like Doctors Without Borders, World Trade Organisation and the United Nations. It’s not just an array of international organisations that make Geneva so interesting and “world class”.
The city is also jam packed with boutiques, jewellery stores, luxury hotels, fine dining restaurants and chocolatiers. With an array of cheap international flights to Geneva, there’s every opportunity for you to explore and discover what the city has to offer.
Visitors get to enjoy and experience European tradition, architecture, art, culture, cuisine, a vibrant nightlife and exhilarating outdoor activities too. There are 3 official languages widely spoken in Geneva; French, German and Italian. It’s a good idea to learn a little French before you go and perhaps download a translator app for your smartphone.
Top Tourist Attractions in Geneva
If you’re traveling to Geneva, set some time aside to visit the following tourist attractions in the city:
- Jet d’Eau (landmark water jet on the lake)
- St Pierre Cathedral
- Palace of Nations
- Reformation Wall
- Place du Bourg-de-Four (shopping and dining square)
- Natural History Museum of Geneva
- Barbier-Mueller Museum
- Jardin Anglais (green space with iconic flower clock)
- Conservatory & Botanical Garden of Geneva
- Maison Tavel
- Broken Chair (12m sculpture depicting peace)
- Parc de La Grange
Cheapest Flights from Johannesburg to Geneva
|Route||Departure Date||Return Date||Airline||Price||Last Checked Date|
|Johannesburg (JNB) – Geneva (GVA)||16 Feb||24 Feb||Qatar Airlines||R6 989||4 Aug 17:36|
|Johannesburg (JNB) – Geneva (GVA)||27 Jan||4 Feb||Air Frace||R7 749||24 Oct 06:10|
|Johannesburg (JNB) – Geneva (GVA)||2 Feb||11 Feb||KLM||R8 089||4 Dec 12:01|
Book Cheap Flights to Geneva & Attend One of the Many Festivals
Festivals are a major attraction in the city, so you might want to book cheap flights to Geneva at the same time as one of these exciting events:
- Antigel Festival (February) – this is hosted across the whole of Geneva and includes activities such as roller skate parties in the tunnel, dance parties in the airport hall and airplane shows over the lake. The line up for this event changes each year.
- International Geneva Motor Show (March) – this is the biggest motor show in Europe.
- Museum Night (May) – over 30 museums in Geneva stay open all night long for visitors to explore.
- Festival of Open Wineries (May) – over 90 wineries are open for free for one day. Visitors must buy just one glass of wine and can continue to taste and explore the wineries with no further charge for the day.
- Montreux Jazz Festival (June) – for two weeks there are free concerts and jazz sessions along the lake. This festival has been running since 1967.
- Fetes De Geneve (August) – this is a popular festival that receives over 2 million visitors each year. The festival is a 10 day party along the banks of Lake Geneva and features carnival rides, shows, concerts, dance workshops and a massive fireworks display.
- Geneva Beer Festival (October) – taste unlimited craft beers, food sampling, live entertainment and more.
Airports in Geneva
When you book cheap international flights to Geneva, you will land at the Geneva Airport (GVA). This airport is just a 15 minute drive from the city centre. The GVA airport is the main hub for leading international carriers such as British Airways, Air France and Swiss International Airlines.
You can book flights from Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town in South Africa to Geneva. The flight will take approximately 12 hours and 30 minutes.
Where to Stay in Geneva
Geneva’s Old Town is the perfect place to stay for those who enjoy art galleries, historic landmarks and museums. Here you will find various apartments, hostels and hotels. For those who want to stay close to Geneva’s night scene, the University District is a fine choice. Here you will have quick and easy access to the trendiest bars, night clubs and restaurants.
You can also find a variety of suitable and affordable accommodation options in Geneva via Airbnb.
The Cheapest Time to Fly to Geneva
Geneva is a popular tourist destination all year round. During the Spring and Summer months (April – August), the weather is ideal for a variety of outdoor activities, picnicking, exploring the city and various festivals.
During the Winter months (December to April), there’s quite a bit of snow fall which means the ski and snowboarding resorts are jam packed.
If you want to cut back on travel costs, try to book your flights to Geneva as far in advance as possible. Autumn (September – November) does however bring a bit of rainfall which deters some outdoor enthusiasts from visiting. As a result, this season is considered “off peak” and you might find slightly reduced flight fares and accommodation rates during these months.
Getting Around Geneva
Geneva is quite a unique city in that it offers free public transport to tourists. Tourists who book accommodation in local hostels, hotels and campsites are provided with a complimentary transport card. With this card, you can travel by train, bus and boat absolutely free of charge. It’s important to note that not all accommodation establishments in Geneva offer the complimentary Geneva Transport Card. Travelers must check if this is on offer before booking.
For those not making use of the free public transport offer, there are other options which include taxis, car rental and also bike hire. Travelers can also use the Uber app to find convenient and affordable transport around the city.
Book Cheap International Flights to Geneva
Cheap International Flights makes it quick and easy to search, find and book cheap flights to Geneva online. Simply use our flight search feature to compare fares with hundreds of reliable international carriers and travel companies. Book cheap flights from Durban, Cape Town or Johannesburg to Geneva with Cheap International Flights today.