Book Cheap International Flights to Hong Kong International Airport (HKG)
When you book cheap international flights to Hong Kong from South Africa, the Hong Kong International Airport will serve as the ideal starting point for your travels and explorations of this dynamic, first-world city. Hong Kong offers all the comforts of high-end boutique stores combined with a rich cultural history. To visit Hong Kong is to truly experience something different.
When you land at HKG airport, you can expect to be instantly immersed in a shoppers paradise as the airport alone is a jam packed experience all on it’s own. To find cheap flights to HKG airport, make use of our quick flight search feature.
Overview of the Hong Kong International
The airport is located on the island of Chek Lap Kok and is approximately 25 minutes from the city centre. The airport used to be called Kai Tak Airport, but was opened as Hong Kong International Airport (or Chek Lap Kok Airport as locals call it) in 1998.
The airport currently provides services to over 100 airlines flying to more than 180 international destinations. Hong Kong is the official hub for Air Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, Hong Kong Airlines, HK Express, Kalitta Air and UPS Airlines.
The airport consists of two terminals, covers an area of 1255 hectares and includes 90 boarding gates and 78 jet bridge gates. The airport has 5 gates that can handle the Airbus A380.
- Terminal 1 – this is the world’s third largest airport passenger terminal. This terminal deals only with departures with all boarding gates stationed here. It has an arrivals hall too.
- Terminal 2 – this is only a check-in and passenger processing terminal. Once checked in, passengers can be transported underground to Terminal 1’s departures hall.
Arrange Transport to and From HKG
Travellers can choose from a variety of transport options to get to and from the airport.
- Airport Express – it takes 25 minutes to the centre of the city with the Airport Express. There are departures every 12 minutes and stops include Hong Kong Station, Kowloon Station, Tsing Yi Station and the Asia-World Expo venue.
- Public Buses – this is a comfortable, safe and very affordable way to get to most parts of Hong Kong. When using the bust you must pay the exact fare or use your public transport Octopus card. The local bus service is called CityBus.
- Taxis – for fast and flexible transport, taxis are the answer. Pay attention to the colour of the taxi cabs as these indicate the areas they serve. Red taxis are urban carriers and serve all areas in the city, Green taxis only serve New Territories and Blue taxis are dedicated to serving Lantau and the airport. Be aware that taxis are very expensive in Hong Kong and shouldn’t be opted for if you are on a tight budget.
- Hotel Coaches and Limousines – hotel coaches are fairly affordable and can be obtained from the Arrival Hall B in Terminal 1. Vigor Airport Shuttle Service offers coaches to and from various hotels. Limousines can also be arranged from the arrivals hall or booked privately in advance.
- Car Rental – car rental can be arranged from within the terminal building.
Airlines that Fly From South Africa to Hong Kong International Airport
You can book cheap flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town or Durban to Hong Kong with the following airlines:
- Qatar Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- Jet Airways
- Ethiopian Airlines
- South African Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Kenya Airways
- Air China
- Siberia Airlines
- Air France
- Air Seychelles
- Asky Airlines
- Swiss Air
Airport Flight Stats / Capacity
The Hong Kong International Airport currently transports approximately 70 502 000 passengers per year. The airport features two runways that have a combined capacity to handle 68 aircraft movements per hour. 100 airlines currently provide around 900 scheduled passenger and cargo flights per day between Hong Kong, and close on 180 international destinations.
HKG Airport Accommodation
If you are looking for accommodation at the Hong Kong International Airport, the Regal Airport Hotel is a good option. The hotel is connected to Terminal 1 by means of an air conditioned bridge. The hotel offers 1 121 guest rooms and a selection of restaurants and bars serving Cantonese, Shanghainese, Western and International menus.
Book Cheap International Flights to Hong Kong International Airport
If you wish to travel to and explore Hong Kong, take the time to book cheap international flights to HKG Airport. By using our online flight search feature, you can secure the latest and lowest travel deals and airfares from leading international airlines and travel companies. Book your flight to HKG Airport with Cheap International Flights today.