Book Cheap Flights to Frankfurt International Airport From South Africa (FRA)
Frankfurt is one of Germany’s most beautiful cities and a popular destination for South African travellers. The city offers a unique mix of attractions that range from modern high-rise buildings to the historic beer halls of yesteryear. When booking cheap flights to Frankfurt, you will land at Frankfurt Airport (FRA).
The Frankfurt Airport is a mere 15 minute drive from the city centre and handles a variety of non-stop international flights between Frankfurt and South Africa (originating from Johannesburg and Cape Town). The average flight from Johannesburg to Frankfurt is around 11 hours.
Airlines Servicing Frankfurt International Airport
You can use Cheap International Flights to book tickets to Frankfurt International Airport in Germany. Our flight search feature will source the cheapest flights from hundreds of carriers. The following airlines offer flights between South Africa and the FRA Airport:
- Air Berlin
- Air France
- Air Namibia
- Asky Airlines
- British Airways
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Qatar Airways
- Saudi Arabian Airlines
- South African Airways
- Swiss Air
- Turkish Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
Overview of Frankfurt International Airport & Main Services
The Frankfurt Airport is certainly not small. The premises spans over 4942 acres of land and consists of 2 large passenger terminals, 1 small First Class terminal for Lufthansa and four runways. In terms of passenger traffic, FRA is Germany’s busiest airport. Wi-Fi is offered free of charge and is unlimited throughout the airport.
- Terminal 1: this is the oldest of the terminals with 103 gates and consists of 3 main levels; departures level with check-in counters, arrivals level with baggage claim and parking and regional station access.
- Terminal 2: this terminal was opened in 1994 and has a total of 42 gates.
- Lufthansa First Class Terminal: this terminal is exclusively for the use of Lufthansa passengers and has it’s own security and customs facilities. Other facilities include high-end restaurants, lounges, cigar rooms, bubble baths and valet parking.
The airport offers passengers a world class shopping and dining experience. The airport terminals feature currency exchange counters, ATMs, coffee shops, designer fashion stores, a casino, children’s play area, restaurants, bars, gift shops, book stores and much more. There is a coupon wall within the airport terminals that offer the latest deals at the various stores and eateries.
Airport Flight Stats / Capacity
The Frankfurt Airport is the 12th busiest in the world in terms of total number of passengers handled. 61 million passengers make use of the airport annually with 462 885 aircraft movements. It serves over 293 destinations and is therefore the airport with the most direct routes in the world.
Getting To and From the Airport
The public transport system in Germany is reliable, safe and highly affordable. Getting to and from the airport, which is only 12km away from the city centre, is made easy with the following options:
- S-bhan – this service offers arrivals and departures every 10 minutes between Frankfurt city centre and the airport.
- AirLiner Bus – this offers departures every 30 minutes between the airport and the Darmstadt station. The trip is approximately 30 minutes.
Car hire and taxi service are also options, but are fairly more expensive in comparison to public transport systems.
Accommodation at Frankfurt Airport
The Frankfurt airport offers various rest zones for those with long layovers. These zones feature reclining comfortable seats with foot rests. For airport hotel accommodation, there is an airport connected to Terminal 1 called the My Cloud Transit Hotel. This hotel is located in the transit area by gate Z25.
The hotel features 59 rooms which each include a comfortable bed, desk and small bathroom. Hourly bookings are allowed (minimum stay is 3 hours). For bookings over 9 hours, there is a discounted rate offered and no passenger may stay for longer than 24 hours.
There are two other hotels connected to the airport terminal and these include the following:
- Sheraton Airport Hotel located in departure hall A and C of Terminal 1.
- Hilton Hotel located just across from Terminal 1 and accessible by a sky walkway.
Book Cheap International Flights to Frankfurt International Airport
At Cheap International Flights we make it simple for you to plan and book your flight to Frankfurt, Germany. Find the right flight for you and your budget by making use of our easy online flight search feature. Book your next trip to Germany with Cheap International Flights today.